Tuesday, March 21, 2006

One more down.

Feb. 9, Harlingen, TX.
First Guennadi, now the Kenyans. Never a boring day at Circus Chimera.
The Black Angels, as they called themselves, were fired today, confirming a rumor that had been around for a couple of days.
Now who's going to teach Dylan Swahili? Damn, I liked the international flair they gave the circus and the show, something unusual, fun, upbeat, different, even though their act was not much as far as circus art goes.
Although I didn't care much for nor got to know any of the others, I liked Professor, "Abdalla aka Professor," as he put it. When he left he asked to see Dylan, My man! The first time I met him he told me he wanted to have "one of these" one day.
Last night we set up the circus in Harlingen, 20 miles back down the road towards Brownsville, and all the vehicles had to be moved again this morning because of some city regulations. Gringolandia. Fridman-y-Valeria language for anything typical, weird or just really stupid (in Fridman-y-Valeria world at least) about this country. They were finished by 2 AM.
The circus is next to a Wal-mart supercenter store, a circus people's dream. Wal-mart is their religion, right next to the holy church. I remember when I first met Fridman, discovering this addiction to Wal-mart, the Big Bad Store. Who can blame them, when you live on a shoestring? It's the first thing Fridman got to know about the U.S.: la Wal-mart. They should put it on postcards to send folks back home. Not a bad symbol of this country.

No comments: