Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The photographers.

June 28, Littleton.

There are no less than three photographers with us today, they're practically walking over each other.
They are a steady fixture along the circus seasons, the photographers, mostly men, they come and go with expected regularity, attracted by our exotic beauty no doubt, Mary Ellen Mark, maybe, or Bruce Davidson, the young shots, the established, the commercial photographers, the no-flash-I'm-a-documentary maker photographers, the studio types, the I've-always-dreamed-about-doing-a-story-about-the-circus types, they come and they go, the usual story, peeking in, on their way.
I recognize myself in them, sometimes, an old familiar shadow I don't necessarily like to remember. I view them with longing, sometimes, too, the freedom of just working you craft, no kids and no early morning daily calls, just shooting away. But always I'm a little startled, and then giddy, to be the one that gets to bite into the gritty show of our lives every breathing craggy moment.
We go on, the last bohemians of the American road, and the mystery stays entirely ours.

6 comments:

Tejano said...

When Kelly Miller came through S Texas this year (McAllen/Weslaco) I took my camera and shot at everything in sight. Another wannabe photographer.

Glad to see you are commenting more on the blog.

See you down the road.

Valérie Berta Torales said...

Not wannabe, photographer, period!
Everybody has an eye...
Hoping to finally get to meet you down the road.

Rose said...

Your photos are different. I've seen the others, yours are different.

They come and shoot the mystery. Some thinking they find it. They come and shoot the personalities. They, thinking, they find them.

You and they both looking for the story, but rarely its them that finds it.

Its not just a matter of skill. Its not just a matter of luck or equipment. Its a matter of knowing.

I don't discredit others. I, in no way, mean to. Its just that you have to know what your looking for. You have to know where that is and how that is and when its best and when its not...and then you have to discern.

You have to know what others might want. You have to know how to address that want, and you have to know how to fill your own want.

You know.

...and your photos are different because they are not the stereotype, not the commercial image. Your photos are of people and their work and the things that encompass and encase them.

Your photos are different, and better.

I take a lot of photos and I hope to G-d that someday I can consistently find what you do.

Steve Copeland said...

In my opinion there need to be more cute, single, female photographers hanging around.

Valérie Berta Torales said...

I absolutely agree. As a whole and in its parts the profession would greatly benefit from cute single female members, of which there has always been, historically and philosophically, an appalling scarcity, hence and thereby making it traditionally harder, not to say, impossible, for the aforementioned cute single female members to successfully break into the aforementioned profession.

Tejano said...

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/michael-s-dispatches/Page-4.htm

There Steve. A cuto photog. :)