Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fake.


August 12, Frankenmuth.

I didn't see much of Frankenmuth, to be honest.
But the publicity surrounding the town reminded me of Solvang, in California, which we played with Circus Chimera: another tourist town built on nothing else than its foreign-sounding name and implied ethnic charm, the whole thing in fact boiling down to downtown storefront buildings that look like a bad movie set and overpriced trinkets. Solvang was supposedly fashioned after Sweden, Frankenmuth is after Bavaria.
As John Moss said, there is something wrong about tourism for tourism's sake. It's all right to have shops around Mount Rushmore, for example, but what does Solvang, or Frankenmuth, have other than its claim to be a tourist attraction itself? Hundreds of villages and towns across the nation are more attractive, if only because they are authentic.
So this: fake for fake's sake, shallow and falsely cute to make a buck (I'll take the queen of fake, Los Angeles, any day because it is inherent in its fabric, not a poorly pasted afterthought.) Worse still when you think about all the natural beauty and man-made wonders of this country.

4 comments:

tavanee said...

After reading your post on our recent visit to Frankenmuth,Michigan,I feel I need to defend one of my favorite towns in the USA.
Frankenmuth actually has a very rich history and being a person of German heritage, I have always enjoyed coming here to enjoy the authenic food ( I had schnitzle!) and to buy German goodies for my dad. When my boys were little here on Kelly MIller we came to Frankenmuth many times, so the town also holds very fond memories for me. The looks on their faces the first time they walked into Bronner's World's Largest Christmas store was magical. I called them and even though they are grown men now, they sounded like little boys again wishing they could have been here again,too.
I have been to the Grand Canyon, Hawaii, Mr. Rushmore, Niagara Falls,etc. and I found it more offensive to have all the "touristy" things around these beautiful places because they seemed like portable toilets all around magnificent history.(But,I always buy a souvenir,anyway)
I am sorry you didn't enjoy Frankenmuth as much as I did. To me it was the best day of the whole season! www.frankenmuth.org

Tavana Johann Brown

Valérie Berta Torales said...

My apologies for a poor entry, and an unnecessary one. I wanted to take it off the day after but of course, as these things happen, there was no connection then (I did just now.)
One woman's dislike is always another's foundest memories... Thank you for letting me see from another angle.

patrizia said...

Doesn't detract from your overall premise, but Solvang is actually modeled after Denmark.

Valérie Berta Torales said...

Oops, memory failing me... thanks!