Saturday, June 30, 2007

Ten years and three days left.


June 29, Newark.

So this is it. Last set up. Last time this morning the tent was raised, last time the circus rose from the depth of trucks by bare arms, stake after stake, board after board, tent and seats and everything in between and around, on Monday they'll take it down and there will be no more Circus Chimera.
Ten years of sweat and joy, of routines and thrills, of friendships and love and fights and laughs, ten years of hard work, seven days a week and ten months a year, ten years of ups and downs and the down finally won but it's the good times you'll remember, the full houses, the cheering, the awe of the circus. Ten years and three days left.
It was like family after all, Circus Chimera, Circus Chismera they call it, a play on words, "chisme" meaning gossip in Spanish. I'll miss my circus family, all these people I've come to know, I'll miss the road and the late nights, but I won't miss the cold and the heat and the fatigue, nor all the ugly lots, like the last one, and I'll miss even less the cookhouse food (but I'll miss tio Tito, the cookhouse manager.)
The electricity is about to be cut, I'll rush and post this (I won't miss that either.)

Saul waiving.

2 comments:

Jerald said...

Hello there -

I managed to get my family togather drove down and made the Sunday Newark Show.

I am always amazed that performers can do their job with such relish in the face of bad news. The Circus Chimera cast should be proud.

Fridman has been described in other blogs as cool and showmanly. My 11 year old agreed and said "He was the best one."

I will certainly miss reading about your extended Circus Family and I wish you, Fridman, Dylan and Nicholas Good Fortune and happiness.

"Fair wind and following seas",
Jerald Pendleton
Castro Valley CA.

Valérie Berta Torales said...

Thank you for your kind words.
I just managed to view your comments and they're not only useful (the fairyland info) but heart-warming too.
All the best to you too,
Valerie