Sunday, May 28, 2006

Stealing the show.

May 27, Novato, California.

Jim came back to be at Fuji's bedside. No matter what I find unpalatable about the work conditions at this circus, I know that he cares, and there is a feeling of belonging to a family when you work here, the circus family. I know he'll take care of Fuji, just as he took care of Saul and Arturo and Agustin and taught them how to sign and read and write.
Because he did not want to leave Fuji's bedside, Jim asked me to go attend a gallery opening of a photo show by a Bay Area woman who's been working on Circus Chimera. She's called Norma Quintana and the show is called "Circus: A Traveling Life" and is at the Smith Andersen North gallery in San Rafael. I liked some of the images, especially the photograph of Fridman (and not just because he's my man,) even though the work is very Mary Ellen Markish, an American photographer famous for her pictures of the circus.
Norma Quintana seemed genuinely delighted to learn that Fridman had a baby, and kept picking him up, and telling each of her friends that "This is Fridman's son!," pointing at the picture and Dylan simultaneously, beaming.

No comments: